Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bathroom Counter Love

After painting over the peeling, damaged wallpaper and laying the floor tile, the countertop needed updating as well.


Up there is the 'before'. When I painted the bathroom and the vanity HERE, I just was not happy with the counter top.

I sanded the counter (which removed a lot of the rust stains present when we moved in) and painted it black and then sealed it. It really did look good.  I loved it, in fact.


Along with the obvious of the photo above, I want to point out the state of this rent house when we moved in.  Reasons that I attempt Rent House Love is so that I don't wallow in self pity of the cardboard box with holes we reside in. The faucet is ridiculously covered in calcium deposits. The mirror is horrible and chipped from the back. I've yet to find an outlet cover for the plug outlet there...there wasn't one when we moved in.

I moved to a more durable yet attractive idea. Granite.

Basically what you need is a Fleck Stone type spray....found at any hardware store or craft store. Some sand paper to roughen up the surface of what you're about to spray. And a sealer.  My best advice would be to get a self leveling epoxy that leaves a glass-like finish. I just did two coats of a sealer.

This is the spray I got at Home Depot.



Protect everything around the area
you are treating.



This is the first coat. Be sure and SAND before
the first coat. 



Allow it to dry for about an hour.
Then apply a second coat.


I later applied a third and fourth coat.



This is the seal I put on top.  I used three coats.
As I mentioned before, I would advise using a self
leveling epoxy for a glass-like finish. But a polyurethane
will work fine.









This is the finished product...thus far.







No comments:

Post a Comment